Welcome to Alamitos Intermediate – where Condors demonstrate purpose, responsibility, integrity, determination, and excellence. As your principal and advocate, my goal is to support your child in our three GGUSD goals: achievement and success in academic skills, socio-emotional well-being, and lifelong success. Alamitos is a school with a rich history, dedicated faculty members, hard working staff, involved parents, and students who strive for excellence. It is an honor for anyone to be part of the Alamitos community.
We have an incredible faculty and staff who dedicate many hours of their day to prepare engaging lessons and connect with their students. Our teachers work incredibly hard at creating a welcoming school environment that promotes learning, independent thinking, and personal growth. It is normal for our teachers to be standing out in the hallways during passing period, having one on one conversations with students, high-fiving students during lunch, and providing extra supervision in our parking lots before and after school. Once a week, our teachers collaborate by department where they are aligning their lessons, discuss strategies, and share their practices with each other.
Our parents are a vital part to the school and we always welcoming parental support. We have three active parent groups on campus: Alamitos’ Parent Teacher Organization, Parent Welcome Committee, Condor’s Nest Volunteers, and Pastries with the Principals. Each of these groups allow our parents to support the school while also creating connections with staff personnel on how to best support your child.
We are excited to offer multiple after school opportunities for our students. We have Boys and Girls Club which provides group tutoring and sports, PureGames Soccer Team, Weightlifting Club, Math Zone for Math Tutoring, Art Club, Mariachi Club, Running Club, Latinos Unidos, and more! The more involved a student is on campus, the more connected and successful they will be at school.
We have high expectations for all students at Alamitos. We expect our students to:
- Treat all people and property with respect and dignity
- Attend school and do their best everyday
- Follow all school rules because they are an essential part of our Condor Community
- Complete all daily assignments and homework in a timely manner
- Earn a 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) or higher because 90% of the work is putting in the effort
- Use their planner everyday to keep organized
- Formulate goals for themselves because they owe it to themselves and their families to have a bright future
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to our school at any time. I have an open door policy for our parents and community and believe that collaboration between our teachers, students, and families is what makes the school successful.
Our Vision Statement declares that students will be life-long learners who develop the academic & personal skills necessary to be successful & responsible citizens.
Alamitos is unique in that we created our own advisement program called Condors Character Counts (C3) that meets every other Thursday. Advisement lessons are based upon emphasis of positive character traits, building Alamitos PRIDE (Purpose, Responsibility, Integrity, Determination, Excellence), Growth Mindset, Goal setting, and how to aspire. C3 is a two year program with lessons created by Alamitos teachers based upon creating a caring and motivating school atmosphere. Parents, students, and staff have shared the positive effects this program has added to the culture of our school. We are proud to declare that C3 is available to all 692 students in attendance.
There many opportunities for parents to be involved at Alamitos. Alamitos has a strong English Language Advisory Committee (ELAC) of parents who learn and act as an advisory group to School Site Council (parent involvement). We have a PTO and AVID Parent Leadership Team. We offer Parent Education courses annually, such as “Ten Commandments of Education” and “40 Developmental Assets.” We are lucky to have great parents that represent Alamitos at DELAC and Parent Task Force meetings and share back with the school and parents as well.
Parents may initially join PTO at the beginning of the year at Registration. Meetings are normally held monthly to share how PTO can support Alamitos and its goals. If parents are interested in joining or attending PTO meetings, information about upcoming meetings may be sent out via school messenger, flyers, and/or on the school marquee. We encourage all parents to get involved with PTO.
Alamitos has been fortunate to offer our students with various opportunities this past year:
- Boys & Girls Club is available each day after school from 2:15 until 6 pm daily. Enrolled students develop communication and athletic skills as they participate in a plethora of fun activities!
- There are various STEM opportunities this year at Alamitos including Lego Battlebots and Sphero Spark Club. In addition, there is a semester STEAM class for students interested in pre-engineering. The class teaches the terminology and mechanics behind engineering, preparing enrolled scholars for their future career one class meeting at a time!
- The Homework Center is available three days in the morning and three days after school for drop in assistance in homework, understanding concepts, and/or for students to have a quiet place to work. Teachers and AVID tutors are available to assist students and Math teachers are available in the afternoon.
- Targeted tutoring was provided this year on areas such as Writer’s Club, Reading Comprehension help, and Math Peer Tutoring. Students gained a deeper understanding of these concepts, reducing test anxiety rates.
- Pure Game is available for students to build leadership skills while learning the cooperative efforts and skills at soccer. Pure Game works with students at lunch one day a week and one day a week after school.
- Girls, Inc. provides lessons for girls based on areas of self-awareness and building positive, strong women. Our lovely lady Condors acquire global awareness and civic engagement as they discuss in-program content.
- Club Live is a club that provides leadership opportunities for youth while also promoting healthy lifestyles free of alcohol, tobacco, or other substance abuse among youth.
- Latino Unidos meets weekly to focus upon building the celebration of culture and community. Activities involved include Line Dancing and Loteria (Bingo) at lunch.
- NJHS is a academic and service oriented club that meets to support the school and community.
- GRIP is a mentor program used to assist students and families with motivation and resources.
Here at Alamitos, we pride ourselves on the recognition the district has given us for the hard work we have put in as a community. We have been awarded 3 years in a row for AVID School-wide Site of Distinction (2016, 2017, 2018). We received the California Honor Roll for High Achievement in 2016. Just one year later, we were named a Title I Academic Achieving School as well as a Gold Ribbon School. Alamtios earned the title of District Spelling Bee winner, Superior Ratings for Orchestra, Choir, and Band at the District Festival. Alamitos was also recognized as an AVID 8th grade Stand-out Scholarship Winner! Throughout May 2018, we will be pending for a 4th year with this award. Teachers, administrative staff, and students will continue to work hard and exceed GGUSD's expectations by learning important skills and thriving in a diverse climate.
- NJHS (National Junior Honor Society) has been a strong service group on our campus. This year alone, they have had some great accomplishments with giving to over 800 pasta items for disadvantaged families to feed.
ASB fundraised over $3500 for Pennies with Patients and donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma foundation. They also participated in Autism Awareness events, donating over $300 to the A Skate foundation! Scholars in ASB can make a community wide difference while civically engaging with significant worldly matters.
In the Art Program, one student earned the Superintendent’s Award at the First Impressions Student Art Exhibit! Alamitos prepares students to academically excel while expressing personal identity in an artistic manner. Congratulations to our winner!
For questions, comments or concerns, please visit our front office or call us at (714) 663-6101. We are excited to begin a new school year and embark on an academic journey of success and overall well-being.